When I was 14 my grandmother gave me a reconditioned sewing machine. I mentioned her in my previous aprons post in regards to her kitchen and cooking. She also had a dedicated craft room. It had heaps of materials, a sewing machine, hobbytex and goodness what else. She taught me how to knit and crochet. I don’t know that she taught me how to sew but I got this sewing machine from her nonetheless.

In any case, my mum was a good sewer and, her mum, my Nana, had been a dressmaker back in her day so I had a lot of people I could go to for advice.

I’ve kept that sewing machine all these years and a lot of house moves. It’s bloody heavy so it’s not easy to cart around but it’s very handy when I need to do a little project. I haven’t used it to make something from scratch for a long time.

It’s a Necchi Supernova Ultra and was brand new in about the 1950s. I barely do any maintenance on it so it’s a miracle it still works.

My most recent project was to resize some retro curtains I bought a few months ago for my laundry. The curtains I found were the correct width, but about 20cm too long. I measured, and pinned and it was very handy having the stripe in the fabric to keep things in line.

I realised as I was pinning, that I could use what was the current hem as a tie for each curtain because I don’t want them closed all the time and I didn’t need to do extra sewing to create them.

I’m pretty happy with the finished product. The length is good and the ties worked out a treat.

I also fixed up a gorgeous dress I bought recently. Photos to come of that one.

Please follow and like us:
Categories: Vintage

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Thrifty style

The Dressmaker exhibition

A year ago I visited The Dressmaker exhibition at Ayers House in Adelaide. It featured many of the outfits from the the movie of the same name directed by Jocelyn Moorhouse and starring Kate Winslet Read more…

Thrifty style

Old and newer

I wouldn’t say I conform to latest styles which is stating the bleeding obvious I guess, being a regular at op shops. I love it when I can mix a vintage item with something newer Read more…


Frock Up Australia vintage fashion sale

Frock Up Australia run pop-up fashion events around the country and this weekend it will be held in Adelaide. Details: Saturday 9 September 2017 10am to 4pm The Vogue Theatre, 25 Belair Road, Kingswood More Read more…